Monday, April 27, 2009

Everything That Keeps Me From Blogging

So, I've been getting some grief from a few of you faithful readers about my recent neglect of the blog. (Thank you for noticing, by the way.) Every day I put it on my mental to-do list, but somehow it keeps not happening.
But, after coming to the realization that for many of you, true happiness simply cannot be achieved without an update on our various exploits (or, at least, not without pictures of Jacob and Leila) I resolved on Friday morning that nothing was going to get in the way of my writing that long overdue blog post. But guess what? Lots of things did. So, I decided to take you on a little photo journey of my day to document everything that kept me from blogging.


I started the day by running five miles. I'm training for the Park City Marathon on August 22. These are my reeeally old running shoes, by the way, which were happily replaced on Saturday.

After getting ready for the day, I put Jacob to work on a craft. Here he is, painting a wooden birdhouse he picked out at the craft store. He kept referring to it as the temple (if you can't tell, it has a steeple). Then, when he was finished with it, he went out on the deck, held it up in the air and yelled, "Here you go, birds!" Oddly, they were not quick in responding to the invitation.

While Jacob covered the birdhouse, table, and himself with paint, I did the morning chores, then got to work on my own craft. This lovely quilt has been dominating my living room for a week now, and I am desperate to finish it.

It's taking a little while because, as you can see (at the top of the brown block), the stitches are very small, and I have to do lots of them. I guess that's what quilting is. Anyway, I've been using every free minute I have to try to get this done. Unfortunately, Bryon just enlightened me to the fact that I can actually pick up the frame and put it against the wall when I'm not quilting, so it's not in the way. Without the motivation of reclaiming my living room, I'm not sure when I'll ever finish it.

So, I worked on the quilt all morning, thinking I could blog after lunch during "nap time" when there was peace and quiet. That is until...

I went to check on Jacob while he was supposedly napping, and discovered this.

This devastation is particularly impressive considering I made a pointed effort of removing everything from the room that he could get into, before I put him down for his nap. Obviously, my mind does not work like a two year old's. He found some lotion in a drawer and spread it all over his chair, his rug, and of course himself. Oh, and I didn't realize this until after I took the picture, but he also removed his pants and underwear.
So, instead of blogging, I spent the afternoon encouraging Jacob to "help" clean up the mess he made, and cleaning up my own messes in preparation for a babysitter coming that night.

Leila was the only thing in my day that wasn't an excuse to not blog. She just played happily on the floor with her toys. (By the way, every time Jacob got loose and made it to the living room, he tried to put that plastic bucket on Leila's head.) Anyway, all the tummy time she's been getting is paying off. This weekend she got up on her hands and knees, and she's already doing the commando crawl. Looks like baby proofing time again.
So, suddenly it was time to leave on our date, and the blog post had not happened. But, I hope you'll all be forgiving, especially since I'm staying up late tonight to finally get it done. And of course, since it's been so long since I've posted anything, I have a few parting pictures for you of the little ones.


Jacob and Leila had their frist bath together tonight. Leila loved it, and Jacob...

Well, Jacob tried to make her drink bath water. Lovely.

Here are Jacob and Leila in their Easter clothes. We'll get professional pictures done soon, but hopefully this will tide you over until then.

Now that I've used every excuse in the book, I'll try to be more proactive about keeping current on the blog. Feel free to point it out to me again, though, if I don't.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like you're having fun! Your kids are so cute and growing up so fast!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Danielle how did you decide you wanted to run a marathon? Have you ever done one before? Runners just blow me away. That is awesome that you get up and run 5 miles. I'm way impressed with the quilt too. I'm lucky if I make it through the day getting a load of laundry done. Those are really cute pictures too.

Tatiana said...

Glad you had time to blog. I love your quilt! I would love to see it for real. Some day huh. Bring it up when you finish it.

Melissa said...

Wow...it's kind of eery (sp?) how your day looks almost exactly like one of mine. Maybe that's why we get along so well. :) I love the picture you took of Jacob's room...I have opened the door after my little boy's 'nap time' and made similar discoveries.

Karyn said...

Excuses, excuses. Your life should BE blogging! Just kidding. It was nice to see a post! Sounds like you are busy. Us too. Good luck getting back to blogging. I don't get to it as much as I would like either.

Lance and Caetie said...

Mmm bath water. Sounds refreshing!

Leila has the cutest smile! I think she looks just like a Nye(Cheney)!

Brian and Cristeen said...

No worries about the lack of blogging (whenever you get down about that take a peek at my blog!) Your kids are still adorable and from the sound of it you are still super woman!!

Danae said...

If you think lotion in the carpet is bad, one time when Landon was that age, he smeared VASOLINE in the carpet, his sheets, and his stuffed animals. That gives you a whole new appreciation for what can and cannot be left within toddler-reach. Good luck!